Sunday 6 July 2008

Questions to people about driving in Jakarta

Hey, so I have a couple of questions for anyone who lives in Jakarta and drives a car (or has a driver). Why do so many people here drive at night with fog lights on? People fog lights are meant to be used when it is foggy!!! This may sound a little obvious but there is no fog here. I drive an amazing little rx-8, this however is considerably lower to the ground than most of the suv's and people carriers that inhabit Jakarta's roads. For those of you who dont get what I mean, it means that your fog lights and your low beam are directed at just about the same level as my retina.

Please turn your fog lights off, unless it is foggy!

When you are sat in a traffic jam, (which can happen a lot here) what difference does it really make if you let one car out of a junction? Consideration people, come on really. The traffic jams here are caused by two things; 1, lack of space dedicated to roads and 2, people who just wont give way to other drivers. You can do something about the latter, think about it like this, do unto others as you would wish others to do unto you! (with the exceptions of taxis and buses, they are a lost cause and should be driven off the road at every opportunity, oh and motor bikes they almost deserve to get run over most of the time).

Please think about other road users and allow traffic to move freely.

This last one doesn't really apply to drivers but it still bugs the crap out of me. Pedestrians, especially older women, for the love of god, when your crossing the road and you see a car driving toward you don't just wave your fat hand at it. Hurry your wrinkly old ass up, instead of waving just move faster, because I swear to god I'm not going to slow down next time. You're the one who is out of place in the middle of the "road". I could go on and on about this but I think you get my point! Grrrrr @ orang kampung.

Stay safe and keep smiling

2 comments:

Andhari said...

lol it's super interesting. I hate bikes and angkots and buses that cut my way all the time. last sunday, my brother hit a bus!! the bus just stopped to wait for people. not even in the side of the street. I sometimes use fog lights though, usually so people give me ways. :P but well, ok ill quit :D

Nicoline said...

yea.
just don't crash my car.