Wednesday 9 July 2008

My problems with language...

There is an old(ish) joke that goes; what do you call a person who can only speak one language?
A, English

As the title suggests I have an issue when it comes to the skill of learning a new language. Most of the people reading this will speak at least two languages, maybe even more, and I take my hat off to you. Me however, well I'm English! If that dosen't mean anything to you let me explain. Because of the traditional arrogance of the English toward other languages very little emphasis is placed on learning them in schools. This is not an excuse... er... well OK it is, but my point is that from a very early age English children are taught that English is the only language they will ever really need.

Having found myself now in the real world, I am finding the truth somewhat different. I consider my self a quick learner, but I suffer from a learning disability called dyslexia. It's a psychological condition that effects the short and long term memory centres of the brain, it has been known to also hinder language, reasoning, math, and coordination. On top of these issues I am also lazy (mentally) when it comes to learning anything that my mind doesn't find acutely stimulating. Yes yes the above is a long whiny list of reasons why I can't do it. More importantly than my excuses is the fact that I need to learn Indonesian.

Oh my left nut its the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. I try to learn 5 words a day, but I forget 3 of them before the day is out, and others before I wake up the next day! I struggle on however hoping that one day I will be able to actually have a conversation that consists of more than apa kabar and baik!

The reason I am writing today is just to say to all those people who have English as a second language and are reading this now. Well done.

1 comment:

Andhari said...

i can teach you some practice indonesian, if you want