Wednesday 2 July 2008

Getting It Right

Q, How easy is it to send an e-mail?
A, Easy

So we agree that it is not that difficult to get documents proof read. It must either then be a case then of laziness or ignorance (and when I say ignorance I mean toward the fact that the service is available). Yes, yes I do seem to be being a bit harsh but really, and everyone who has been to Asia will attest to this, the level or written English in advertising here is appalling. What ever happened to the business credo of 'every little detail matters to the big picture'? It seems to have been replaced by 'Ahhh, its OK they know what we mean'!

So I am now offering my services as an freelance English proof-reader. Genius idea even if I do say so myself. Don't get me wrong as an average English person, I have been known to be some what flippant when it comes to the correct use of grammar, spelling and punctuation in my personal correspondence, that however does not mean that I think it is professional for business to be inaccurate in there advertising, even when the owner/manager is of non western origins.

Now however I find my self in an unusual position, how can I get the word out to everyone that I am starting said service? I have all ready posted ad's in facebook! On a couple of Indonesian business directories, and the occasional bulletin board. These, I fear, will not be enough. I have e-mailed everyone on my contact list and I am in the process of trying to "borrow" friends contact lists to increase the number of people that are aware of this new service.

But it still dosen't feel like its enough. So I am hitting the blogs, myspace, friendster, and the Indonesian internet servers. I have also upped the stakes by agreeing to use funds earned solely from internet earnings. And that total as of right now is $0.00.

1 comment:

Fredrik said...

Psymon,
regarding your effort to get clients for your proofreading business.
Join a professional network called LinkedIn. www.linkedin.com.

Invite your friends and get them to do the same and so on. Then you can get in contact with your friends friends with professional proposals for business.

Good luck!

PS. Yeah... and check out my blog http://balisunshine.blogspot.com/ DS.